Friday, September 12, 2014

09.12.14 Sugarless






I've been taking so many pictures lately; it's been consuming my life. I don't mind it, however, it's given me a reason to wake up in the morning and a reason to stay out late. I have binders & binders full of negatives that I haven't even looked at yet. So, it's been difficult for me to organize them, let alone make sense of them. Which, I suppose, is my reason for shooting photography & writing--to make sense of myself & the world around me. I have found one common pattern recently; the pictures I most adore are not the ones I endlessly prepare for. Instead, they are the ones I take on a whim & often forget about minutes later. Many of my interests explore the confluence of man & nature. I like to capture moments that remind us we are still animals in the end, no matter how far we evolve. We are still subject to all the same ills; we are not above death & decay and neither are any of our creations. And if we were, life wouldn't be nearly as exciting. I don't think I would want to live if I also wasn't going to die.

When I was taking pictures of these pigeons in the Bowery, an older, disillusioned man jumped in front of my camera, fluffed his hair, & puckered his lips, posing. While I had used my last frames on the birds, it is a moment I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment